It's kinda like this...

A sense of humor and an open mind are welcome here.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

What in THE Hell Ever Happened To...DAS EFX????

Das EFX

Krazy Drazyz (Andre Weston) and Skoob (Willie Hines) met at Virginia State University in 1988. Both were raised in New York and were at V State majoring in English, I believe. The developed a crazy ass style where most of their rhymes had several made up words ending in "-iggity." This latest craze caught hip hop off guard, but it was quickly embraced by the fans. Das EFX caught their big break when they performed at a talent show judged by EPMD. Though they didn't win, EPMD was impressed enough to offer them a deal, and the duo became part of the Def Squad crew of protégés. I think these niggas lost to Vanilla Ice or somethin' like that. Movin' on...

Upon its release in 1992, Dead Serious caused an immediate sensation, and is still considered something of a landmark in hip-hop circles. The first single, the instantly memorable signature song "They Want EFX," was a Top 40 pop hit and a Top Ten R&B hit, and helped push sales of Dead Serious past the platinum mark. Wary of being pigeonholed by repeating themselves, the duo slowed down their lyrical flow and downplayed the surrealistic side of their interplay on the follow-up album, 1993's Straight Up Sewaside, which went gold. Around the time of 1995's disappointing Hold It Down, which probably went Sterling Silver, they were forgot about. Well, by me at least. The following is the song that introduced them to the fans of Hip Hop worldwide. "They want EFX", is the title as well as the only song they have that I like. I could've sworn one of them were in the group "Poor Righteous Teachers" but I'm probably wrong. Ha. I remember when my boys used to insert the first line of this song whenever someone asked them a question or something. Kinda like...

"Hey man, what you about to get into?"
"I don't know. I was thinking of calling Renee' over to the house so I can 'Bum stiggedy bum stiggedy bum hon...'"

Yeah, hard to believe we were corny like that once. Anyway, wifout further adieu, here are some lyrics that I bet you have long forgot about.

THEY WANT EFX


Bum stiggedy bum stiggedy bum hon I got the old pa rum pum pum pum
But I can fe fi fo fum diddly bum here I come
So Peter Piper I'm hyper than Pinochio's nose
I'm the supercalafragilistic tic tac pro
I gave my oopsy daisy now you've got the crazy
Crazy with the books Googley goo where's the gravy
So one two unbuckle my um shoe
Yabba Doo hippity hoo crack a brew
So trick or treat smell my feet yup I drippedy-dropped a hit
So books get on your mark and spark that old censorship
Drats and double drats, I smiggedy-smacked some whiz kids
The boogedy-woogedly Brooklyn boy's about to get his, dig
My waist bone's connected to my hip bone
My hip bone's connected to my thigh bone
My thigh bone's connected to my knee bone
My knee bone's connected to my hardy-har-har-har
The jibbedy-jabber jaw ja-jabbing at your funny bone, um
Skip the ovaltine, I'd rather have a honeycomb
Or preferably the sesame, Let's spiggedy-spark the blunts, um
Dun dun dun dun dun, dun dun
They want EFX, some live EFX

And with that, I am out like...well...these niggas.

5 Comments:

Blogger Miguel said...

"mic checka" is still the shit. i gotta dl it from somewhere now. i'm sure i have it on cassette somewhere.

2:17 PM  
Blogger wun_knight said...

Yeah, I forgot about Mic Checka. That was the other tight song they had that I couldn't remember. I have to admit that those two kept them going for a hot minute, but they fell off to me after Ice Cubes Check Yo'self.

You're right about the lyrics. Makes you wonder if any of us coulda made it if all we had to do was add a "scoobedy boobedy boo bop dee" whenever we got hung up on a rhyme and shyt.

"I wanted to give my teacher an apple,
but Moms only packed an orange,
I slipped and dropped my strawberry snapple,
and I...scoobedy boobedy boo bop dee"*

*Instant hip hop classic

I mean, what really rhymes with orange????

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Door hinge is the only rhymes with Orange

4:30 PM  
Blogger LyricalMason101 said...

Porage,ignorin',challenge,lozenge
Deliverer,quiver,slitha', silly-her

2:37 PM  
Blogger DJ Phobia said...

Silver = Killer

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home