It's kinda like this...

A sense of humor and an open mind are welcome here.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Is This Just The Way It Is?

R.I.P














Ryan Francis

Inspired by this article on Yahoo Sports:Wondering Why

I didn't know him. I didn't follow USC basketball, or the Pac 10 for that matter. Why am I singling him out when so many lesser known people go through the same on a regular basis? Maybe because of what I noticed, and what really made me stop and think. I was just surprised to see a White journalist that was insightful and thoughtful enough to enlighten his readers on where the short comings of media and society lie. It's not as if he said anything profound, or something that we, if we have been paying attention over the years, wouldn't have noticed on our own. I think that it just hit me because over the weekend, a Mother's Day weekend, a mother has lost a son. I am halfway around the world in the middle of the ocean and I was able to wish my Mom a Happy Mother's Day. He won't be able to do that ever again.







What happened to Ryan Francis may have happened to many young athletes who may have temporarily escaped the clutches of the "beast". The unfortunate fact is that until you actually do "make it"...you still have to come home. Read the link and leave your thoughts if you want.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*...Ryan Francis will be buried this week. His USC teammates will be there. So will television cameras, probably. But not as many as in Durham. What happened at Duke is socially intolerable. What led to Ryan Francis' funeral, apparently, just happens.*


Wow, thanks for pointing that out! I had no idea and had not heard anything of it!

10:39 AM  
Blogger wun_knight said...

Yeah, it jacked up all the way around. People seem to lose focus on what's important more and more each day. While what happened at Duke might have been news worthy, how long should something like that overshadow what happened to Ryan Francis? Ben Wilson? Any person who rose up only to be pulled back down by some bullshyt like this.

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home